Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Examples of Your Amazing Support!

In the recent weeks, I've been humbled by the incredible people that have seen mine and Nash's Kona Inspired video and have reached out to us with desires to be part of the cause of Racing for Orphans with Down Syndrome.  These are individuals that lead very busy lives and have many responsibilities with family and work yet still find the time to help in their own special way.  Here is an example of an email I received from Katrina in Minnesota:

"Hi Brady,

I only recently learned of Reece's Rainbow and the orphans with Down Syndrome all over the world.  Suffice it to say, I am changed forever.  A little bit about me:  I live in MN with my wonderful husband and five children.  None are adopted ;)  but that may one day change.....I am 37 years old and have been running for quite some time but only started running races about 4 years ago and not many at that.  Only 2 marathons, a half, some5ks and my first 1 miler yesterday!  Have you ever done one of those?  HARD!  I love running, I run almost every day and have for about 20 years or so.  Racing stresses me out but I always love how I feel after.  I push myself too hard but I always figure if you're going to do it, do it with everything you have right?  I cannot think of a better motivation and purpose to race than for your "team".  I would be SO PROUD to wear your shirt but I'm not sure what type of people you're looking for.  I will do everything I can to support and promote your cause even w/o wearing the shirt.  I had been back and forth about running races (I mostly run for fitness and enjoyment) but this would give me SUCH purpose!"

This is such a wonderful example of someone who learned of the desperate situation of these children and is acting on the feelings she has had to get involved.  Thank you Katrina for your energy and willingness to be a part of this cause for these children!

Another example I'd like to share is that of someone I have a lot in common with.  From John in Utah:

Brady

   You finished!!!    Wow.. what a day that must have been....  I just came across your story written in the Deseret News before ironman St George. Reece's Rainbow is quite the worthy cause.  Knowing the conditions that day i was instantly overcome with nerves hoping you survived that swim. I was relieved and proud at the same time that you not only finished but did so well , and i dont even know you..... Although i do know your story... it is very similar to mine.  My son Finnegan was born 6 years ago. I too held him briefly before being told the news he had Down Syndrome. I'm also very very proud that he is my son and quickly came to realize that just like many things in this world things are not always as they seem. He was blessed with good health to start with and has been a joy to be around.
      I am "racing" ironman Couer D'Alene in June. I am raising money for the Stanford University medical school Center for Down Syndrome Research.  I just wanted to drop you a note saying awesome job!


John is also taking something so dear to him, Down syndrome, and doing his part to make a difference by becoming an Ironman! 

I could go on for hours showing example after example of individuals helping move this great cause along.  I'm especially thankful for everyone's help in sharing the Kona Inspired video and voting each and every day!  Our chances of making it to Kona look really good right now, but there's still some work left.  I'll keep everyone posted as more details are shared with me.  Have a great day!


No comments: