Tuesday, May 15, 2012

By Small and Simple Things...

Yesterday afternoon I drove from Boise to Logan, Utah for work.  After work I planned on staying at my dad's house in good ole' Preston, Idaho, 30 minutes north of Logan.  On my way to Preston I decided to stop off at my grandparents house in Richmond, Utah.  I'm so glad I did.

Richmond is a very small, one stop light town located right next to the Utah/Idaho border.  The evening temperatures were settling in as I drove down the narrow winding road to my grandparents home.  I initially was planning on stopping only for a minute, but I'm glad I stayed longer.

Time is much slower in Richmond.  The views are stunning.  There is an incredible mountain backdrop to the east and a view of the entire valley to the southwest that reminds you that there is a higher power behind all of this.  The air was warm, but still crisp as the sun began to set.  The farmers fields with the water from the sprinkler pipe made the crops more green than I ever remember seeing them.  Everything was perfect, like something you would see in a painting or from a dream that you think about for days after you wake up.

After peeking into the kitchen and front room of the small home that my grandparents have called home longer than I have been alive, my search for their familiar faces turned up empty.  I began to make my way around the huge yard that the family has deemed "Murray Park".  In the very back of the yard, I could see someone bending over pulling weeds from one of the dozen flower beds.  I made my way across the yard to find my grandmother working tirelessly as she has done for most of her life pulling the weeds that always seemed to find their way back to the flower beds.  I felt guilty at first seeing my 78 year old grandmother working as hard as she was.  She quickly reminded me that this was not work to her, but her "therapy" that she looked forward to each day.  Pride quickly filled my chest.  I was proud of my grandma and proud to call myself a Murray.

We slowly made our way back to the house where we found grandpa and my uncle James just getting back from changing the water.  We had a great visit.  They told me about the early summer they were having and how they worried that it would get so hot that summer that they worried about having enough water.  They talked about their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and the many adventures they were all having.  I mainly listened.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

When it came time for me to go, I found myself wishing the evening wouldn't come to an end.  I had such a feeling of peace and love for my family.  I reflected on growing up and the wonderful memories of sleeping on the trampoline, building tree houses as well as the challenges that we all face from time to time.  I feel such an appreciation for family.  They are always there for us through all circumstances, no matter what. 

In my heart of hearts, I know the family is the most important aspect of our lives.  Family truly is the central part of God's plan.  I thank my Grandpa and Grandma Murray for their gentle reminder of this to me yesterday. 

I was also reminded that together with so many of you, that we are actively working to make the dream of family come true for these precious children that at the moment don't have a family to depend on.  What a blessing it is to get to work on their behalf.  It is comforting to know that the seeds we are planting and nurturing today will mean a lifetime of moments similar to what I experienced yesterday for our precious little ones waiting for us in their makeshift homes.  To each of them I say, your pain will only be for a small moment.  There are many beautiful sunsets and hugs from Grandpa and Grandma in the future.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.  We are coming for you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brady, you should write a book, not only are you a visual writer, but you get the words down on paper that help me understand why you are doing what you are doing! People are interested in your endeavors.

Brady said...

Thank you for the great compliment! I really enjoy writing. It would be a special experience to get to write a book someday.