Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Welcome Home Eli!

The long awaited day for our dear Eli to be home has finally come!

My introduction to Eli came in December of 2011.  It was the day that I first visited the Reece's Rainbow website and learned of the struggle that so many orphans with Down syndrome were facing.  I remember clearly looking at each one of the children's faces and knowing in my heart that something had to be done.

After a few days, Andrea and I decided that we would each choose a child to start fundraising in hopes that they would soon have a family commit to them.  I scrolled through the literally hundreds of pictures trying to choose the one child that I was suppose to focus on.  At first it was difficult.  Then I saw this picture.  This little boys picture stood out to me and I knew he was the one.  This was on December 4th, 2011.  You can read my blog post HERE.



Through the help of many family and friends, miracles took place and Eli's adoption account quickly grew.  On February 7th, 2012 I received the news that Eli had a family who had committed to adopting him!  That was a monumental day for me.  It was a day that provided proof that a difference can be made for these children!

Since that day I have become good friends with Eli's mom and dad.  They are such good people and I'm so happy for him.  I've watched as they navigated through the mountains of paperwork, background checks, and homestudy's that are required to adopt.  I saw the frustrating times that they went through and I celebrated with them the victories.  Finally the day came that they traveled to Eli's country.  It was the same day that I flew to Hawaii for the Ironman World Championship. 

Which brings us to today.  As I write this, Eli is making his way home from the airport to start the life he so deserves with the family that is so lucky to have him.  Tonight he will be tucked into his own bed by his very own mommy and daddy.  Tomorrow he will get to play with his siblings who have been eagerly waiting for their brother to come home. 






I have expressed this before on my blog, but I want to share it with you again.  There is no doubt that it is an amazing blessing for each of these children who are fortunate enough to be adopted. However, the biggest blessing that will come is not the family to the child, but it is the blessing that this child will be to his family.  Children who have Down syndrome are special in so many ways.  Eli's family will be learning this first hand in the upcoming months and years. 



 

No comments: